“Within the realm of possibility, you are the possibility”
~ Tara Michelle West
Let’s talk about possibilities.
Because despite what is happening with your career right now…
… whether it has gone off a cliff,
… or whether things frustratingly remain the same in your current job…
There are possibilities for those who take action and do not sit around twiddling their thumbs, biding time. (And future possibilities that will be arising too!)
BUT it all starts with YOU.
There’s a saying… “Within the realm of possibility”. Meaning that an individual has belief that something is possible. But I want to ‘stack’ on that. Within the realm of possibility, you ARE the possibility.
Because whether there is a possibility for your career or not is up to you. Whether that possibility will come to fruition is also up to you. And if we wanted to get philosophical on this, there would be no possibility without YOU in the first place, right?!
It is you who defines, then accepts or rejects a possibility. It is you who breathes life to a possibility. It is you who nurtures, cares for, and grows a possibility to ensure its success.
Thus, it MUST all start with YOU. Because you are the originator of possibilities.
Which leads me to my next point.
To grow your career possibilities – and later opportunities – it takes an inner strength. It takes grit. It takes commitment. It demands development and growth as an individual.
And here’s why.
Because YOU are the most important possibility of all. YOU deserve to be the greatest version of yourself. This will give you confidence when defining and evaluating new career possibilities.
After all… a healthy mind = a healthy YOU = a healthy Career.
Here are my 5 starter tips in self-nurturing so you can grow possibilities for your future self… your future life… your future career:
1. Surround yourself with positive, non-judgemental people. Where possible, remove yourself from toxic people / situations or set clear boundaries on what is/isn’t acceptable and stick to it.
2. Improve your skills. Pick a topic that will be beneficial for your career or personal development. For instance, it might be public speaking, negotiation, the art of communication, and what have you. What immediately comes to mind, do it. Trust your intuition. Find a book or audio-book (or video) on the topic and consume it for 15 minutes (or more) EVERY day. When finished, write a 1-page summary of your takeaways – what did you love about the book? What lessons did you learn? What inspiration did it gift you? What new possibilities came to mind? This solidifies everything you have learned (but don’t ignore putting it into practice whilst reading 😉). When you’re done, repeat with another topic.
3. Create a gratitude journal and write in it EVERY day. Have a goal to write at least three things you are grateful for that day. (I do this before I go to sleep – a wonderful recap of the day and a fabulous way to reaffirm what I am grateful for which feeds my mind as I go to sleep.) Once a week or so, read through the previous entries and see how good you feel!
4. Exercise EVERY day. Ideally in the morning to release all those wonderful endorphins – even if it’s only a 15-minute walk.
5. Meditate EVERY day. Not only does it rewire your brain, but it makes you feel good. Science has proven the emotional and physical benefits. Aim for 30 minutes a day if you can. If you’re new to meditation, start with 5 or 10 minutes. If you find it hard to meditate or don’t know where to begin, I recommend the free Insight Timer app which you can find on iTunes and Play Store. Or play some inspirational, uplifting, relaxing music in the background and meditate.
And PLEASE, be kind to yourself.
Soooo, you glorious, magnificent originator of possibility… I wish you much success and blessings in your journey, where the realm of possibility begins with you!